Search Mystery & Thriller

Saturday 4 March 2017

Movie Review - The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

2014


The Cast




I must be having a Reboot Session, what with watching this title as well as the 2010 version of A Nightmare On Elm Street and the 2013 The Lone Ranger.

This was another of my favourite television programs of my childhood with the suave spy Napoleon Solo (I mean what a great name - and a spy to boot) and Illya Kuryakin (try saying that when you're only six - English was hard enough...)

So I put off watching this film as I hated Guy Ritchie's take on Sherlock Holmes... and I'm not a great Mark Strong fan.  Well, I couldn't believe my luck, a Guy Ritchie film minus Mark Strong...

... and ...

A brilliant adaptation of the original series.  Right from the beginning, I was hooked.  Guy Ritchie does a brilliant job of recreating the sixties... the cars... the buildings... the clothes... the feel... It is awesome to behold.  And the fact that, on the whole, the special effects are real, only using CGI to mask wires, cranes, etc, is superb and makes the movie more believable, sometimes CGI can distance an audience if not used correctly.

The opening sequence, a car chase between a Trabant and a Wartburg is one of the best I've had the privilege to watch.  Truthfully, all the action sequences are marvellous and great to watch.

The directors of "Man of Steel - Batman vs Superman" and "The Lone Ranger" should take note that their leading men were exceedingly better in this movie than theirs.  In fact, Henry Cavill gives a performance as Napoleon Solo, that would also have made a great Superman, not the womanising and arrogant parts of his character, but the surety of the character and his vocals.  Armie Hammer is a brilliant Illya Kuryakin, who, in this movie, is more of a powerhouse and doggedly determined.  This difference from the original's character makes for a better dynamic between the two spies and a stronger film.

I also liked the idea that this is the story of the creation of U.N.C.L.E. (United Network Command for Law and Enforcement), and that we get to see a little bit of Waverly's background, again this makes for a stronger film, as well as stronger sequels.

This movie is all about style, right from the beautiful opening credits to the closing credits, and the soundtrack is no different.  It works so perfectly with the feel of the movie, adding to the action sequences, the romance, and even the comedy.

The only reason this didn't rate a 10 was the bloody annoying subtitle's - Guy, you chose the wrong font.

If you like stylised spy thrillers with great story telling, action sequences, and brilliant acting, that leave you feeling happy and invigorated then this is a "buy me" film.  Had I known it was so good I would've purchased at full price and not waited for the price drop.  Everybody deserves their money for this endeavour.

I give this Retro Remake a Spytastic 9 out of 10.

The Trailer




No comments:

Post a Comment