Search Mystery & Thriller

Tuesday 27 June 2017

Book Review - A Shot In The Bark

A Shot In The Bark

By C A Newsome

2013


9.5 / 10


A Shot in the Bark: A Dog Park Mystery (Lia Anderson Dog Park Mysteries Book 1) by [Newsome, C. A.]

Don't be fooled that this is a story about canines solving murders.  No; this is a well crafted and structured mystery whodunnit novel, which I wasn't expecting after I read the blurb on Amazon.  Boy, was I happy to be surprised(?)

I usually don't choose a book if I don't like the opening sentence, then the opening paragraph, as I believe this should give the reader an insight into the story they are holding.  To be honest, I did pick the book for the silly cover and the possibility that the story might raise a smile or two... and hopefully a laugh.  Just recently I've been in serious need of both, so I clicked on the novel's cover on my Kindle...

It was the prologue that gave me the insight the novel may be just a little bit darker than I was expecting as it's the psychopath's viewpoint and the reason behind a previous killing.  This was a wise and daring move by C A Newsome as it adds a deeper element to the story.  In fact, without this reoccurring ingredient, the story would have been a lot weaker.

However, Carol Ann Newsome's lighthearted style of writing helps to keep the reader interested and reading at a steady pace.  As the story progresses she grows and enriches the characters making them more realistic and believable.  To this outcome, I really liked how she gives the reader expanded details of the work which her main character, Lia Anderson, undertakes.  As a son of an artist, this brought me into the story a little more and I could relate a bit more to Lia... as well as giving me a sense of warmth and happiness at remembering my father - Thank you.

Even though this is categorised as a Lia Anderson Dog Park Mystery I loved how Newsome left the detective work to the detectives.  Lia doesn't become an amateur sleuth being helped by her wonder dogs.  The dogs are only secondary to the story, they add a realistic and relatable element... and yes at times you may find yourself "Ahhh"ing.  As for the Dog Park itself, this is where the murder is committed and therefore all of its patrons are potential suspects and witnesses.

I must admit I didn't like the opening paragraphs of the story as they felt a little trite and the flow was slow and awkward, as she introduced Lia to her readers.  This, however, is short lived as by the time you reach the next part of the chapter Newsome has found her footing.  The climax of the story feels rushed, though this could be because of the previous space which encompasses the rest of the novel and I'd grown used to.  Plus in real life, things have a way of creeping up on you and then exploding so fast they appear to have happened in mere seconds.  However, it would have been nice had Newsome slowed down the pace to build tension and suspense which I think the scene needed, instead of speeding it up to build excitement.

Then there's the conclusion which quite a few people didn't like...  Once again, for me, it added another sense of reality and I wasn't disappointed by it at all.  To the contrary, I applaud Newsome for making the decision to go this route.

I would gladly recommend this book to everybody who likes murder mystery whodunits.  Though be forewarned you may not agree with or like the conclusion of this story.


Free Kindle Book - A Shot In The Bark by C A Newsome



No comments:

Post a Comment